Thursday, July 9, 2009

My first Roast Chicken

I have finally decided to roast my first ever whole chicken. I’ve always wanted to roast a chicken but was too afraid of wasting the big bird if a boo boo was to happen…

I did started off with chicken pieces, and it was sort of a success, but was on the drier side.

The night before, i took the frozen bird from the freezer and started to defrost it in the fridge. To my amazement… the next morning it was still frozen! It was already 10am and yet hard as a rock. Thinking to myself that i had to cook this for lunch and its already 10 am, i quickly took the water defrost method. It was finally done after 1 hr when i decided to wash the chicken and started to get rid of the excess fat. This was my first time cleaning a whole chicken and it was kind of turning me off. The smell, the rawness of the meat, the amount of fat i could see under the skin. I was thinking.. oh gosh how am i going to cook this fella??

So after washing, i had to massage him. Massage him with garlic rosemary butter.. ahh it felt awful haha..

Preheated the oven, i shoved the chicken in, hoping for the best

20 minutes on one side, then turn it for another 20 minute…. after removing the foil, piggy said “ the chicken is still white, looks like it going to be 1.30pm not 1pm”.

Starting to panic, i started to bake without the foil. Cooked another 20 minutes, still no luck. it was not burning… the side were still white!! I then had to consult sz, she told me to grill it to brown the skin, and i place it on the upper rack… Save by the bell. total time of cooking…from 12.15pm to almost 1.45pm .. ok still enough time for piggy before he goes to class..

Result not too dry, gravy came out nice, piggy gave a 110% and i had a burn mark from basting the chicken….

My first Roast Chicken
DSC_0316

My injury caused by roasting the chicken… HEHE

DSC_0318

1 comment:

Redbabe said...

wow... it looked absolutely yummy!!!!!! what's with chicken & roasting these days...lols